Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Lights! Camera! Action!

Recently, there's been a lot of firsts for me.  I joined twitter, started tweeting. I started a blog and started blogging.  This week my first was creating a digital story!  Yes.  It's hard to believe, but it really was my first.

At first, I was really worried about putting a "movie" together.  I had a hard time choosing what kind of movie to make.  It was difficult partly because I had to post it on Youtube.  I had reservations about putting my personal pictures and pictures of my family members out in public.  I had to put much thought into deciding on the topic.  I started a movie about my favorite  person, my niece, then decided I didn't want that.  So, I started one on my friends but didn't want that either.  Finally, I ended up doing one on donuts.  It was about something I liked. It was personal. It was fun! It was a perfect topic!

Although I was worried about putting my digital story together when I began, I found that it was quite easy with imovie.  I was able to upload pictures from my personal photo collection and download images from the internet to make my movie interesting.  It was simple as drag and drop.

The next part was adding music and narration. This was when the challenge began.  Timing the music, ordering the pictures, deciding on the length of each picture was based on my preference and style. So, adjusting and watching, and adjusting and watching was a lot of work. The tricky part was to fit all the pictures to music in the way I wanted it.  I wanted to do it in a certain way, and that really took up a lot of time. The little things that had to be done after the initial set up, such as, altering and realigning and shortening and lengthening and cutting here and adding there, was a lot of tedious work.  The task was not hard.  It was just time consuming.  

When I was finally finished with my production, I was quite pleased and it was fun to watch something I had created.  I wasn't so inspired as I was making the movie.  However, when I saw the finished product, I was motivated to continue making more and thought of other ways to make and incorporate digital stories in my teaching.

Here is my first digital story.  Please take a look!~ And if there's anyone out there that thinks they can't do it, remember, I did it and so can you!~




2 comments:

  1. Narration would have been a great addition to your movie, to give it even more of a personal touch. As an FYI YouTube has a series of privacy options so your video can reside there but be invisible to anyone that doesn't have a direct link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your love for donuts with us! I too found the editing part of the digital storytelling to be time consuming.

    ReplyDelete